8scoops

Sunday, August 01, 2004

Pride and Prejudice and dead gay men

As c.berry so eloquently put it, we are "on the cusp of the rebroadcast" of the classic Simon Langton-Andrew Davies BBC version of Pride and Prejudice, an event which definitely warrants a mention on our worthy site. It's not often one has the opportunity of watching a new uneducated generation become fans of what has to be one of the best film or tv adaptations ever!

Speaking of which, has anyone seen the 1945 black and white production of Oscar Wilde's "The Picture of Dorian Gray"? The picture itself scared me half to death (I actually jumped) and was beyond anything I imagined while reading the book, which in itself freaked me out. Nonetheless, Oscar Wilde is definitely on my permanent list of people I would love to go back in time to meet. I would just love to see whether he was as quick-witted in person as he seems on the page. The fact that his response to an American customs officer who asked if he had anything to declare was "Only my genius" (a classic egotistical comeback if ever I've heard one) makes me suspect he was.

Of course Leo is on my list as well (who was also supposedly homosexual. Hmmm, an emerging pattern?) What about anyone else....who and why?

2 Comments:

  • 'PP' men Brooding in tights and women swooning in lace. I wonder must every Englsih actor do a costume period piece?

    down to half a packet of suger for your tea i am very impressed!

    By Blogger 8scoops, at August 2, 2004 at 9:42 PM  

  • Of course every English actor must do a costume piece! What is an acting career without at least one horsedrawn carriage??

    I would like to see Richard the Third (a most enigmatic villain)...and many other persons besides, too many to name.

    Has anyone seen the BBC adaptation of Vanity Fair? I want to know what you think!

    cb

    By Blogger 8scoops, at August 5, 2004 at 6:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home